Director. Johns Hopkins Undergraduate Semester in Washington, DC
Requisition # : A-113928-36
Type : Faculty
School : Zanvyl Krieger School of Arts and Sciences
Department / Program : KSAS Office of the Dean
Location City : Washington
Location State : DC
Location Zip Code : 20001
Closing Date : Open until filled
To apply : General Description
The Director of the Johns Hopkins Undergraduate Semester in Washington, DC (HSDC) will be responsible for leadership and day-to-day management of the HSDC, which will ultimately comprise several semester-long, undergraduate cohorts in the nation's capital.
The first cohort of Johns Hopkins undergraduates will participate in the program shortly after the opening of 555 Pennsylvania Avenue in fall 2023.
In collaboration with relevant academic units, faculty, and administrative offices across Johns Hopkins, the Director be responsible for ensuring that JHU undergraduates have access to an unparalleled academic and experiential learning opportunities in Washington, DC.
The Director will report to the Vice Dean for Undergraduate Education in the Krieger School of Arts & Sciences and will work closely with university leadership and advisory groups to ensure the successful implementation of the undergraduate semester.
Specific duties and responsibilities :
- Works collaboratively with academic units, faculty, and administrative offices across Johns Hopkins to create and sustain a high-quality, rigorous academic and experiential learning opportunity in Washington
- Oversees the HSDC academic program working with cohort faculty directors and relevant vice dean to fashion rigorous HSDC curricula.
- Recruits highly qualified faculty to teach HSDC classes where necessary.
- Works with the Office of Integrative Learning and Life Design (ILLD) and Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) to put in place excellent experiential learning opportunities for HSDC students, including high-quality internships in the Washington, DC area.
- Works with faculty and local organizations to establish robust extracurricular programming for HSDC students, which offers them additional opportunities, beyond their classroom work, to enhance their DC-based experience.
- Oversees academic advising services for HSDC students while they are in
- Ensures the dissemination of timely and clear information to JHU undergraduates about the opportunity to participate in HSDC and how to apply, ensuring that the program is accessible to all eligible JHU undergraduates.
- Demonstrates experience in establishing diversity, equity, and inclusivity as core values of the HSDC program and ensures all aspects of the program embody those values.
- Provides leadership on undergraduate health, safety, risk management, and emergency response in conjunction with relevant university offices.
- Teaches one or more classes in the HSDC program.
Maintains an active research profile using time set aside in the Director's schedule for such work.
Applicants should have a Ph. D. and be able to show evidence of research productivity in some field or fields that fall within the arts and sciences.
To apply for this position, visit :
The Johns Hopkins University is committed to equal opportunity for its faculty, staff, and students. To that end, the university does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, marital status, pregnancy, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or other legally protected characteristic.
The university is committed to providing qualified individuals access to all academic and employment programs, benefits and activities on the basis of demonstrated ability, performance and merit without regard to personal factors that are irrelevant to the program involved.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at jhurecruitment .
For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception.
Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing.
Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers.
Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Last updated : 2022-09-23
Similar director of academics jobs in district of columbia
- director of academics jobs jobs near me
- director jobs near me
- Assistant Teaching Professor of Applied Behavior Analysis/Program Director at University of Washington College of Education
- Director at Washington State University
- Department Chair of Music and Associate/Full Professor - Now Hiring at Purdue University College of Liberal Arts
- Customer Service Manager - Georgetown University Campus Recreation at Georgetown University
- Assistant or Associate Professor WOT, Somatic Associate Clinical Director for Division of Genetics at University of Washington
- Vice President, Academics at WorkMonger
- Associate Director of Student Center at University of the District of Columbia