Sr. Large Loss Claims Adjuster
The world has changed. Why hasn't insurance?
Kin's mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago's 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what's the role?
We are looking for a Sr. Large Loss Claims Adjuster with first-party property claims experience to join our growing team! In this role you will handle high severity large loss claims and investigate and assess damage and coverage while monitoring all aspects of the claim and applicable coverages and negotiating settlements with all involved parties. You'll have a chance to work closely with our insured(s), public adjusters, attorneys, contractors and vendors in order to help our customers as swiftly as possible. Writing clear, concise diary notes in addition to setting field assignments, issuing payments, and crafting correspondence policy letters will all be a crucial part of this role alongside working closely with your team while following all policies and procedures.
A day in the life could include:
- Examining and appropriately interpreting insureds' policies, forms in force, and other records to determine coverage and extent of company's exposure and policy limitations
- Applying knowledge of multiple state statutes, including the insurance code of ethics, rules, regulations, and guidelines
- Desk reviewing, drafting, adjusting and approving estimates of damage and loss amounts for structural damages, mitigation, remediation, etc
- Using varying methods of investigation, including taking recorded statements, consulting with experts, inspecting property damage, and reviewing documentation
- Keeping active communication and working with customers, their representatives, contractors, and experts throughout the Claims process and period of restoration including but not limited to: Dwelling, Other Structures, Contents, Additional Living Expenses, and/or Debris Removal from start to finish
- Working with public adjusters and attorneys that may represent the insured(s) and responding to all notices and letters in accordance with state guidelines
I've got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 2+ years of first-party residential property claims adjusting with prior large loss handling experience preferred
- Experience working directly for an insurance carrier
- Working knowledge of Florida insurance laws and Florida good faith claims handling
- Experience handling pre-litigation claims (Florida Public Adjuster/Attorney Represented claims preferred)
- Data-driven and analytical approach; you love working with new tech and getting into the numbers
- Experience with vendor management and negotiations
- Comfortable utilizing various claims systems and claim related software (i.e. Xactimate, Xactanalysis)
- Knowledge of residential construction, roofing and repair techniques
Oh, and don't worry, we've got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability + Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Generous equity package
- 401K match
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education + professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact!
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we're making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We're a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it's how we treat each other. That's one of the many reasons we've been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don't discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.