Principal UX Designer - Store & Omni Technology (REMOTE)
Welcome to UX Design at DICK’S Sporting Goods, where we specialize in delivering retail excellence along every aspect of the user journey. Our mission focuses on crafting intuitive, easy-to-use products that span across our business, including merchandising, pricing, supply chain, marketing, corporate systems, Store & Omni Technology, stores and technology. We are looking for a new team member who can bring product-market viability ideas that inspire, innovate and deliver elevated experiences for our customers, teammates and products.
The Principal UX Designer is a master in applying human-centered design practices to inform highly complex design and experience strategies within a technology domain, working cross-functionally to achieve product excellence. You will be the ultimate ambassador for the user and serve as a coach to UX Design peers and business partners to promote the understanding of UX Design and design thinking methodologies and frameworks within your domain.
As the Principal UX Designer of Store & Omni Technology, you will be account for developing the overarching customer journey and vision across specials assignments such as new concepts, brands, innovation, etc. While the role sits within the Store & Omni Technology portfolio, you will be accountable for driving the journey, strategy, vision, stakeholder alignment and product team collaboration across all portfolios on a given assignment. This role is also accountable for driving the practice of UX design directly with the Store & Omni Technology portfolio, working closely with UX designers of varying skillsets to drive consistency and depth of knowledge across the discipline. You will work closely with the Principal Product Manager in the domain as well as with the Distinguished Product Manager and Distinguished UX Designer role.
This is a full time remote opportunity.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
Business Enablement & Special Assignments
As a Principal UX Designer, you will lead highly complex and/or high-profile assignments and establish and execute design strategies within your domain. This may include exploratory activities in emerging technologies and/or new enterprise investment opportunities for the business, where you will contribute to crafting and shaping the design strategy and vision across the end-to-end journey. As part of this process, you will work closely with Program Managers, Group Product Managers, Group UX Designers, and product teams to ensure the right level of support and enablement involved in these enterprise initiatives as it relates to a cohesive design strategy across product roadmaps.
You will be responsible for establishing qualitative and quantitative user feedback through usability testing, survey designs, user interviews, data analysis, heuristic evaluations, exploratory research methods, and other modern research practices. The user will remain at the center of all critical decision points, where you gather continuous feedback as you help craft the vision, strategy, and benefits of investment to leadership.
As a UX design leader, you will influence the understanding and practice of design thinking as you collaborate closely with leadership and product teams in your domain, where you will have a heightened level of awareness and understanding regarding business strategy and profitability, as well as product frameworks and software development practices. In addition, you will act as a consultant to enable key business partners as needed.
Coaching & Recruiting
As a Principal UX Designer you will have an active role in engaging with designers and learning their approach to problem solving. You will advise on growth opportunities and work with fellow design leaders to establish what a community of practice in design should be, and how we will evolve it over time.
Reporting to the Director of Product Management & UX Design, you will advise on the state of UX Design within the domain and develop plans to ensure the practice is being leveraged to its fullest potential. Your will utilize your knowledge of design thinking practices to enable and coach UX designers and familiarize stakeholders with these practices.
In addition, you will assist in recruiting, selection, and onboarding activities for new UX design team members. Outside of recruiting activities, you will be an active representative for design at DICK’S Sporting Goods, participating in design community activities both locally and nationally, building relationships with industry peers, and becoming heavily involved in University partnerships, such as internships and capstones.
Drive UX Design Frameworks, Methodologies & Execution
A core part of your function will involve working closely with the Distinguished UX Designer to advocate for research and design thinking practices, while evangelizing human-centered design across product, technology, and business teams. Practices may include, but are not limited to, discovery, framing, design vision and experience strategy development, research methodologies, customer journeys, lean experimentation, minimum viable product identification, testing for product / market fit, and driving user value through focused design efforts.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Seeks out innovation to champion new experiences that dazzle customers while positively impacting the business.
- Top notch presentation skills, effective storytelling methods when communicating.
- Ability to gather data insights to formulate strategic product decisions during all phases of the product life cycle.
- Proven track record of managing and leading high-performing teams that have delivered innovative, world-class products and engaging experiences. Preferably in a retail environment.
- Detailed experience with agile methodologies & frameworks, lean product management, human-centered design and modern software development practices.
- Ability to understand and target opportunities within the end-to-end product journey to inform decisions and delivering high-performing results.
- Requires a strategic and empathetic leader, who is highly motivated and accountable to deliver outstanding product experiences centered around the customer that achieve KPIs, including revenue, conversion and customer satisfaction.
- Experience with the standard software tools used in UX Design, including Figma, Adobe Creative Cloud, Miro, Qualtrics, Optimal Workshop, wikis, digital whiteboards and prototyping tools.
- Bachelor's Degree in a business related field, Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, HCI, UX Design, Psychology.
- 7 - 10 years overall experience with 5+ Years in a UX Design Role.