Title: (Casual Hire) ESL Instructors
Position Number: CASUAL
Hiring Unit: Outreach College, International Programs
Location: Manoa Campus
Date Posted: November 12, 2021
Closing Date: continuous
Salary: $34 – 45, hourly
Full Time/Part Time: Part-time
****Applicants seeking short-term or part-time work with the University of Hawai’i may apply for Casual Hire appointments, which include administrative, professional, and technical (APT) or instructional-type positions. Because of the temporary nature of these appointments, Casual Hire employees are not eligible for most benefits provided to regular Board of Regents or Civil Service employees. Casual Hire appointments may last for up to 89 days for full-time employees, and up to 1 calendar year for part-time employees.
- For placement in Instructor applicant pool for 2022, and future semesters.
- Positions are for short-term, part-time, non-credit instructors with International Programs.
- Contingent upon registration, position availability, course offerings, departmental need, and funding.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare for and teach English-as-a-second-language classes (online or in-person) to international students according to curriculum guidelines.
- Classes and curriculum vary from program to program, including but not limited to classes in skill areas such as grammar, listening, oral production, integrated skills, writing, presentation and pronunciation, TOEFL preparation, TOEIC preparation, conversation and culture; or classes in English for specific purposes, such as for university preparation, business, medicine, sports, tourism, etc.
- Assisting with placement testing and student orientation
- Preparing daily lesson plans & creating teaching materials
- Participating in faculty meetings
- Advising and evaluating students
- Conducting off-campus or virtual educational activities with students.
- For 10-week NICE and some special programs:
- Master's degree in ESL/SLS or related field*, or Master's degree in ESL/SLS within one semester of completion required.
- For 3-week NICE and other programs:
- Bachelor's Degree in ESL/SLS or related field*
*Related fields usually include English, Linguistics, or Education
- For all programs:
- Minimum of three years of successful, recent full-time experience teaching ESL in a classroom setting
- Experience in ESL curriculum development
- Proficiency in spoken and written English commensurate with a teacher's role as a language model
- A well-rounded, extensive knowledge of, and experience with, American culture
- Understanding of, and respect for, a culturally diverse student population
- Or equivalent competencies for the above listed qualifications.
- Course work in education
- Successful experience teaching a wide variety of courses, levels, and age groups
- Successful experience teaching in intensive ESL programs
- Familiarity with existing ESL materials
- Overseas/cross-cultural experience
- Extensive experience learning a second/foreign language
- Evidence of professional development and of involvement in the field of ESL
- Demonstrated successful experience teaching intensive ESL courses online.
Click on the “Apply” button on the top right corner of the screen and attach the required documents. Applicants must submit the following:
Late, incomplete or unreadable application materials will not be considered. Please redact any social security number and/or birth date on your documents prior to submitting. All submitted documents become the property of UH Outreach College and will not be returned. Please create an account if this is your first time applying for a position using NEOGOV.
Saori Doi, [email protected]
The University of Hawai'i is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran. For more information or inquiries regarding these policies, please refer to the following link: http://www.hawaii.edu/offices/eeo/eeo-coordinators/
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawai'i may be viewed at: https://www.hawaii.edu/titleix/help/campus-security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.
Accommodation Request: The University of Hawai'i complies with the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the EEO coordinator directly. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. For further information, please refer to the following link: https://www.hawaii.edu/offices/eeo/accommodation-request/
Similar regular teacher jobs in hawaii
- regular teacher jobs jobs near me
- instructors jobs near me
- Full Time Middle School Teacher at Kona Pacific Public Charter School
- Elementary Teacher at Hawaii Public School
- Oiwi Learning and Teaching Mobilizer, Elementary School at Kamehameha Schools
- Recent Grads - Become a Teacher (Teach for America Corps) at Teach For America
- Substitute Teacher at Kamehameha Schools
- Online English Teacher (100% Remote) at Preply
- Dance at Wuxi Huaxia Tianyi Bilingual School